Roadway Construction Inspector
RaganSmith, a regional multi-disciplined engineering consulting company, is looking for a Construction Inspector for oversight of Construction Engineering Inspection (CEI) projects with Tennessee DOT and local TN municipalities.
Responsibilities would include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct construction inspections on bridges, highway and railroad projects in accordance with client’s adapted procedures and policies
- Provide inspection services for conformance to plans and specifications for all roadway, structures, and specialty items
- Observe, measure and record all construction quantities for contractor payment including understanding of mathematical calculations associated with quantity measurement
- Record field measurements in project records for review by the client or auditors (records will be recorded on a standard form-field book and/or on field inspection forms to be submitted to the client)
- Review traffic control daily, and additionally as required or requested
- Document weekly (or as often as necessary) project traffic control on required forms and distribute as required
- Inspect daily erosion control items for conformance to the plans as well as effectiveness in the field
- Prepare to justify any and all pay quantities in the case of questions by the contractor or client
- Provide services in a highly professional manner, conducive of a cooperative relationship between all parties involved
- Prepare an accurate daily diary, signed by the inspector, consisting of:
- A record of the contractors on the project
- Their personnel (number and classification)
- Equipment (number and type or size)
- Location and work performed by each contractor or subcontractor
- Orders given by the contractor
- Events of note on the project
- Accidents on the project and any details surrounding the accident such as police report number, fatalities, causes, time, etc. (obtain a copy of the police report for the project records whenever possible)
- Weather, amount of precipitation, temperature at morning, noon, and evening, cloudy, clear, etc.
- Days charged, with explanation if not charged
- Equipment arriving or leaving the project, idle equipment
- Any other details that may be important later in the project life
Qualifications & Requirements
- Minimum of 1 year of experience
- High school Diploma
- Must possess a Valid Driver’s license
- Transportation (bridge, roadway, rail) construction inspection experience
- OSHA 10-Hour Construction Safety Training, Radiation Safety/Nuclear Gauge / Hazmat Training, TDOT Concrete Field Testing, TDOT Soils & Aggregate, and TDOT Hot Mix Asphalt Roadway Certifications preferred
- Experience with Site Manager Software preferred
- Computer Skills including MS Excel, MS Word
- Experience reading and understanding Roadway Plans
- Willingness to work Overtime or for limited nighttime construction as needed and overnight travel
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with the individual’s experience. RaganSmith provides competitive employee benefits including health, dental, and vision coverage, 401(k) and profit-sharing plans, comp time, bonuses, and a flexible work opportunity.
RaganSmith is a well-established, privately held firm with over 140 employees. The culture of our organization starts with a team/family orientation, and our success is derived from the effort and care provided by our team members. Our staff of talented professionals strives to complete our work with expertise, professionalism, and integrity entrusted to us by our clients.
RaganSmith is an equal opportunity employer recognizing the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing laws.
Founded in 1933, RaganSmith is a multi-disciplined consulting firm with a reputation for excellent work, reliable professionals, and dependable service. We specialize in land planning, civil engineering, surveying, landscape architecture, sustainable design, and construction administration. Our clients are both Public and Private and our projects are diverse and complex. With offices in Nashville, Murfreesboro, and Chattanooga, our goal is always to utilize our broad range of expertise to produce the best projects for our clients by seeking to advocate sound design practice. Our culture encourages professional growth and pursuit of an individual’s passion in order to elevate future leaders in the industry for the betterment of our community.
RaganSmith takes great pride in setting a standard of excellence as a consulting firm. Our focus on each project remains until we meet the expectations of our client and achieve our own standard of excellence.
Like what you see?Apply Now